Milwaukee Foundation

On November 24, 1940, our Carmel of the Mother of God was founded in the above┬áresidence at 4802 West Wells Street in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Eighteen years later┬áthe community was able to move into the present monastery in Pewaukee, Wisconsin– about 25 miles west of Milwaukee.

The first novice accepted on the foundation (above right) was Jessica Powers to become Sister Miriam of the Holy Spirit.

Mother Paula of the Mother of God, founding Prioress, carried the above statue of our Blessed Mother on her lap during the entire drive from the founding Carmel in Bettendorf, Iowa.